Do I have the full picture?
When it comes to understanding what the “full picture” is in the education system, we first must define what the full picture is. To me, the full picture is understanding all sides of history, and culture from a nonbias perspective. As teachers, we need to make sure that their education system is not failing them and that our students can be able to understand the full picture.
This week after reading the module I have come to the understanding that we currently don’t have the full picture of our education system, however, this does not mean that we cannot change this.
We can help our students to understand the full picture in history classes by teaching them all sides of history and not just telling it from one perspective. A lot of public schools in the past and today have a habit of teaching students history and other topics from one basic narrative that we’ve all heard a million times before. Doing this is shown to be damaging to our students and they are not able to use what they are learning in schools as a window or mirror into their life.
Another way we can help students to understand the full picture is to help them understand that small movements can make a difference. Task 4 from module 7 mentions that we can ensure students that understand the power and privilege that non-indeginous people carry with them and allow them to see how to use that power. I really think this is a great strategy to use in a classroom and I could see myself using this to help my students.
Hi Zoe!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you described your own version of the full picture. I think that your definition is so spot on with what students need to learn for the education environments. I agree with your statement as well that not a lot of people do not have the full picture. I have seen so many schools that do not support or promote different cultures and backgrounds, which is so sad to see nowadays. I think becoming a future educator especially our generation we can promote this in our classrooms and make sure that we educate our students in the history and the culture from a nonbiased perspective. Having the students learn at a young age for this is going to be huge change in the education system. I really appreciated how you implemented the modules into this as well because I enjoyed watching these videos and seeing how lots of people agree with the same opinions as we have.